Friday, December 15, 2023

Matthew Perry Died From Special K Overdose

Matthew Perry died from “the acute effects of ketamine," according to the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner’s Office, which released its toxicology report on Friday.
Perry is said to have been taking the drug as part of a ketamine infusion therapy used to treat depression and anxiety, but the report concluded that the amount in his system could not have been from his treatment, as his last session had been well before his death and its half-life is three to four hours, or less.
The autopsy notes Perry had 3,540 nanograms per milliliter of ketamine in his bloodstream. Pathologist Dr. Michael Baden called it an "overdose," explaining that Perry had about three times the normal dosage amount in his system.
Ketamine, a dissociative anesthetic with some hallucinogenic properties, is used for both recreational purposes (as a party drug it causes out-of-body experiences) and more medicinal purposes like treating depression.
The medical examiner added that the ketamine had caused cardiovascular overstimulation and respiratory depression in Perry’s system, which contributed to his death, reports TMZ.
The medical examiner notes that Perry had been undergoing ketamine infusion therapy every other day for some time, but six months before he died, a new doctor decided Perry was doing well enough that he didn't need the treatment that often. The report doesn't say how frequently Perry was getting ketamine infusion therapy in the months before he died or how he would have obtained it for home use. 
Other contributing factors in Perry’s death included drowning, coronary artery disease and the effects of buprenorphine, a drug used to help addicts quit opioids.
There was no evidence of alcohol, cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin, fentanyl or PCP.
Although smoking wasn't listed as a contributing factor in Perry's death, the report notes he smoked two packs of cigarettes a day, had COPD/emphysema and diabetes.
The former “Friends” star was found dead in a jacuzzi at his Los Angeles-area home back on Oct. 28, after first responders answered the call for cardiac arrest. 
--Via wire services
This is a developing story.